Sunday, September 21, 2008

Final Destination

The ultimate goal of this trip was to walk the Mackinaw Bridge on Labor Day. So, we headed back over the bridge to the rest area across the bridge for another "good" nights rest. Adam was driving again only this time it was in the dark. Yahoo! He was even more nervous and we only went about 25 mph with lots of prayers. We had had a few scary off road trips with the camper trying to find a campsite but finally gave up and went to the rest area. This time Adam and Natalie got a little paranoid and were afraid someone was trying to break into the camper or take the bikes. Even had to turn the camera on to see the back of the camper to check on bikes. Eventually they settled down and let us go to sleep. Morning came and of course another day without a shower. Sarah could hardly handle this. She did the sink wash up.
Gram doesn't look like she knows for sure where she is.
5 miles is the total length of the bridge with at least half of it going uphill. My feet are the worst feet and I was pretty nervous about them hurting me. I brought my tennies and my trusty croc sandals. The crocs are what I thought would work best for me. Well, the night at the campground was extremely cold and the furnace came on. I didn't realize that the rubber crocs were on the heat vent on the floor. When I stepped into them to go to the bathroom in the morning I couldn't get my right foot into the shoe. The heat had shrunk it so bad it would not fit. So, I was pretty frantic. Stuck them in the water and started pulling. Did get it large enough to wear and I ended up walking in them for half of the trip. Pretty funny.
First part of the walk was at least 1/2 mile to get to the place you line up at. They put you in a school bus and drive you across the bridge and you walk back. It was surprising how quick the line went. 50,000 people, including the governor, walk the bridge. Here we are in line for the bus.Here Leah is giving her mother a great big kiss on her first school bus ride.David and the trusty stroller
4 Generations at the starting point after being bussed across the bridge to walk back. 82 years old down to 10 months. I walked part of the way with a sweet couple and their 3 month old baby. After talking for a while they said they lived close to Edmore and I was saying how my church has a school there and camp every summer. They asked what religion, so I said SDA. Believe it or not, they said they were Adventists also. Turns out their new pastor is Willie and his wife Jodie Poole that was good friends with Adam and Sarah. Small world.


Leah made some new friends and even walked a little by herself.

David and I crossing the finish line.

The fun wasn't over yet. On to the ferry and over to the island.

First thing we saw as we approached was the grand hotel.

It felt so good to ride the bike and be off of your feet. Okay, the island is 7 1/2 miles around so I did exercise overload on that day. We didn't have much time to shop on the island but enough time to get to the fudge shop and make a big purchase. Riding is fun but the horses leave quite a few droppings that you have to maneuver around during the ride. No cars allowed on island, only bikes and horses. Notice I am not in the picture with everyone. I was so far ahead they could hardly keep up with me.
All in all it was a great trip. Kids are already planning a trip with Joe and Nilza joining us next summer. I guess we will have to invest in a bunk house to pull behind the camper. And then the boat, which they will not go without next time, will have to go behind that. I think you will have to tranquilize me to get me over the bridge in that caravan.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You remind me of my labor day family vacation trip, it was fabulous.

CK said...

What memories, I think we did it five years or so ago now and had my folks along. That was interesting! You guys sure have the "family" thing down pat. What a blessing.