Monday, May 5, 2008

WOMEN'S RETREAT

Here I am on my way to Camp AuSable the first weekend in April, Easter 2008. Look at the lovely snow. The weather did turn out to be beautiful and the snow was only in the shade. Actually, we were dressed a little warm for the good weather.Saw the first deer of the weekend when I drove onto the camp grounds. He was having a grand time and was not the least bit nervous about me stopping to say hi.First job at hand was to set up the tables. If you remember, we made about 45 vases in Natalies Kiln from the school. We poured, sanded, fired, painted, fired, and decorated with wire and beads for about 3 months. They turned out great. I actually sold all but about 6. They looked so cute so I thought I would just put a few shots on for you to see.





. I attended the retreat 2 times since I am on the Michigan Women's Ministries Committee. The third weekend is always the most fun cause my church friends, family from Gobles, and mom and daughters attend with me. This is Natalie's sister Francie with Grandma modeling the vases. Francie has a beautiful voice and sang with Sarah and I. We did a trio and led two song services. They were fun and I think the ladies really appreciated them by the way they sang out. Thank you Frannie and I hope we can do it again next year.

Three more vase models.
Our speaker was Ginny Allen from Washington state. I loved her. Kim Purvis, our director, is directly behind us. Ginny was going from MI to Alabama where Stella was cooking and decorating for a retreat down there. Can't wait to talk to her and see how she liked Ginny's preaching. The girls loved her also.
The speakers theme for the weekend was "Catch the Wind of the Holy Spirit". So, for the Saturday evening meal, we centered our decorating around the theme of the Comfort of the Holy Spirit. We used lots of candles, water features like drink fountains and floating candles, blue denoting water, wind chime sounds and butterflies and doves, all representing the traits of the Holy Spirit. All the ladies on the committee wore blue shirts and slippers for "comfort".
Our evening meal had "comfort foods" such as "meatloaf", mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, and pie ala mode.
This is my long time friend from Oakwood Academy, Jini Lane, once Whang. (Sp) It was so nice to see her. On the third weekend the speaker asked Sarah and I to sing a song with two of her friends from nursing school that were in attendance. We sang a beautiful song about seeing our loved ones again in our heavenly home when Jesus returns. It has special meaning for them since Ginny lost her grown son in a snowmobile accident several years ago at their church camp. Turns out one of the friends we sang with was Jini's mother-in-law.Our special feature for the Saturday night vespers was my friend Renee doing a chalk drawing while Ginny spoke. She drew a beautiful sunset with three crosses and a rose. It lit up with shadows when the black light was turned on. Francie has a picture on her blog which you can get to thru Natalies blog. Her address is on the side of mine. It was a great weekend and hope that more of our friends will come next year. Believe me, I can put you all to work.
Just Kidding!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh.
My name is Christina Lane. My mom is Jini Lane. She was a Whang and that's her picture. I'm almost creeped out, but I think I'm more excited. I can't belive it. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Please, if you get this reply. I'm so curious now.

Julie said...

Ammaguchi, I am not so sure how to reply to you. I will try this. Your mom attended Oakwood Academy as a child and I helped with music there. My daughter Sarah was little then and your Aunt Euni always wanted her to be her flower girl. It was great to see your mom. I think I sang with your Grandma at the retreat. Let me know if you receive this.

Anonymous said...

I finally found your blog again. It's been a while. Sorry. I had asked my mom about you and she was trying to figure out which Julie you were when she was in academy. Well, now we know.